Popov’s porcelain factory


A.G. Popov’s factory in Gorbunovo, Dmitrovsky uezd, Moscow gub. Purchased from K. Milli in 1811. In the 1850's inherited by A. Popov’s children, Dmitry and Tatiana, and then to Dmitry's sons Vasily, Ivan and Aleksey. In late 1860’s was taken on lease by Zhukovl in 1872 sold to R. Schreder, from whom it was taken over by Khalatov. The last proprietor was Fomichev. Closed in 1875.

Popov’s factory along with those of Gardner’s and Kornilov’s was a leading enterprise in Russia in the first half of the 19th century. The products of Popov’s factory are rather overwhelmed with bright painting and too much lavishly gilt.

Popov’s factory

OBJECTS FROM A DINNER SERVICE

WINE-GLASS COOLER, BISCUIT-DISH, SAUCE-BOAT AND TRAY

Popov’s factory. First half of the 19th century

Porcelain. Over glaze painting

Length: cooler 30 cm, sauce-boat 19.5 cm, biscuit-dish 21.5 cm, tray 31 cm

 

The dinner set produced at Popov’s factory in Moscow, comprises a wide variety of objects—dishes large and small, octagonal, wavy-edged, or round, triangular or square; sauceboats, biscuit-dishes and wine glass and wine bottle coolers. The wide pattern is waving along the edges, the centres of the vessels are decorated with a gracious vine encircling a complicated, many-petalled rosette. A combination of the white surface and the elaborate, gilt pattern gives the items an air of elegance and festivity.

 

COVERED CUP AND SAUCERCOVERED CUP AND SAUCER Popov’s factory. Mid-19th century Porcelain. Over glaze painting Height cup 13 cm, diameter saucer 11 cm

 

Masters of the factory continuously perfected their plastic art and decor. The covered cup with a view of the Moscow Kremlin looks very graceful. The deep blue background of the objects accentuates the gilt ornamentation. Following the styles of the time the masters introduced a different kind of decoration resembling 18th century Rococo-style shapes. At the same time they preserve classical austerity of form and architectural landscapes which were so popular with them.

 

OBJECTS FROM A TEA-SERVICEOBJECTS FROM A TEA-SERVICE

CUP AND SAUCER, SLOP-BASIN, TEAPOT

 

Popov’s factory. First half of the 19th century

Porcelain. Over glaze and underglaze painting

Height: cup 6.5 cm, teapot 14.5 cm, diameter: saucer 13 cm, slop-basin 17 cm

The porcelain tea-things were produced in separate articles as well as in sets of numerous cups, saucers, plates for tea, with various teapots, milk-jugs, sugar-bowls, etc., all of the same pattern.

The items reproduced are decorated with architectural landscapes set into oval reserved panels against a background painted in brown, with gilt outlines, and with white borders gilt with formalized lilies.

Porcelain Over glaze paintingCUP AND CREAMER

cup (left)

Popov’s factory. Between 1850s and 1880s CREAMER (right)

St. Petersburg Imperial Porcelain Factory. Between 1760s and 1790s

Porcelain. Over glaze painting

Height: cup 6 cm, creamer 7 cm

The cup reproduced is simple and graceful in shape, vigorously decorated with flowers painted in a soft colour scheme against a grey brown background. The abundance of polished gold that covers the interior of the cup reminds one of a jewellery specimen. The creamer’s festooned pattern in deep blue, vivid red flowers and gilding accentuate the whiteness of the porcelain. The moulded handles terminate in leaves and the top of the lid.in a berry.

Popov porcelain factory marks

The early trademarks were in he form of monograms consisting of the Latin letters «AP». Throughout the operating period the brand was «AI» stamped under glaze and impressed in the paste.

Read more...
 


Most read


  • Russian Porcelain from the 18th to the Early 20th Century

    Porcelain from China and Germany had been known in Russia for centuries due to trade relations with foreign countries and private travel. But porcelain production became possible in Russia only in the 1740s as the result of work done by talented Russian scientist Dmitry Vinogradov, who discovered the secret of porcelain production and began its industrial manufacture.
    Read more...
  • Verbilki porcelain

    Some words about history of Russian and Soviet porcelain. Francis Gardner, an English timber merchant, settled in Russia in 1746 and, after twenty years in the timber trade, founded, on March 7, 1766, Russia’s first privately owned porcelain factory near the village of Verbilki, the Dmitrov uezd, Moscow gubernia.Archives and surviving porcelain samples give a full case-history of the earliest Russian porcelain undertaking.
    Read more...
  • Dulevo Porcelain Factory marks


    Read more...

Latest Articles


  • Palekh

    The art of Palekh, one of the many applied art and craft centres of Russia, is unique. The precious miniatures decorating the lacquered papier-mache boxes, caskets and other objects, produced by the painters of the old village of Palekh in Central Russia, have gained world renown.
    Read more...
  • Jeweller’s art of the peoples of Russia

    Jewellery occupies a special place among works of decorative-applied art. It had a long process of development as it passed from talismans which give protection against enemies and diseases to real works of art, decorating costume and emphasizing its design and originality. Being closely linked with the material and spiritual life of peoples, jewellery embodied their aesthetic and social ideas as well as the peculiarity of national art.
    Read more...
  • Main marks of Imperial Porcelain Factory in St. Petersburg

    The Royal Porcelain factory (the St. Petersburg Porcelain factory) — 1744—1918. The production started in 1748. Produced mainly porcelain, faience was produced for a short time.
    Read more...
| Contact Us | Site Map |