|Some words about history of Gzhel|
Gzhel initially was the name of a village in this district, which was the centre of volost. Then whole district was called so, and now Gzhel means Russian ceramic art of faience and porcelain wares painted with cobalt on a white background.
For the first time the Gzhel area was mentioned in the spiritual letter of Ivan Kalita in 1339.
In 19th century Gzhel was called "Russian Staffordshire", comparing it to the most important English ceramic centre.
Only in the middle of 19th century the production was started.
In 30-40 years of 19th century the biggest part of Russian porcelain wares was manufactured in Gzhel.
In 1921 the ceramic school was founded in Turygino village. In 1931 the school was transformated in Gzhel ceramic technical school. In 1936 the manufacture became independent und transformated in co-operative work-men's association "Artistic ceramic".
The manufacture gradually increased. Turygino, Novo-Haritonivo and Zhirovo villages became part of it. The enterprise produced mainly toys, which were made of red clay. Wares were painted with paints on enamel.
During the World War II the manufacture wasn't working. Only after 1945 Gzhel began to revive. Revival of Gzhel connected with the name of famous scientist-ceramist Aleksandr Saltykov.
In 1972 as the result of association of 6 small workshops, which were located in different villages, there was founded Production Association "Gzhel".
Now "Gzhel" Association is the biggest in its field. Factory, exhibition hall and huge shop are located near with Turygino village.
There are multitudes of enterprises: Pottery and majolica Factory "Gzhel" in Lyublino, "Artists of Gzhel" near with Turygino village, Scientific Production Association "Синь России" and many others.
|| Contact Us | Site Map ||