|Icon of Our Lady of Vladimir|
This icon, as the legend goes, was painted by St. Luke the Evangelist and brought to Rus from Constantinople. When moving to Vladimir, St. Prince Andrei Bogolyubsky took the miraculous icon from Vyshgorod in Kiev.
On September 21, 1164, it was brought to the Cathedral of the Dormition where it was kept for 230 years. In 1395, during the disastrous Tatar — Mongol yoke, a festal procession brought the icon to Moscow, and on August 26, the day of public prayer to the Intercessor, the magnificent Woman surrounded by Heavenly Warriors appeared in brilliant radiance before brutal Tamerlane and told him to leave Russia.
June 23 was established as the icon's Feast day to commemorate the liberation of Rus from the Tatar — Mongol yoke in 1480, and May 21 was chosen as the icon's Feast day to mark the liberation of Moscow from the troops of Makhmet-Girey in 1521.
|| Contact Us | Site Map ||