|Icon of the Mother of God "The Sign"|
This is one of the earliest images of the Mother of God, known since the 4th century. It shows the Mother of God with Her Child as She raises Her hands in prayer. Such icons appeared in Rus after the miraculous sign given by the Mother of God through Her Novgorodian icon in 1170.
That same year the united armed forces of Russian princes approached Novgorod. Zealous prayers of Novgorodians were heard, and the Mother of God enjoined them to bring Her image from the church to the city wall. When an enemy arrow pierced the holy image tears filled Her eyes and the icon turned off the offenders to face the city.
Terror-stricken foes began killing each other and the Novgorodians triumphed. Numerous copies of the icon can be found all over Russia.
|| Contact Us | Site Map ||